After too much contemplating I pushed through baking the chocolate chiffon cake for Ellie’s 7th month :) Hurrah! It was a success! Let me share you some pictures of the finish product. Achievement unlocked. I just carefully followed the instruction of the recipe I found online (followed : step by step).
I baked a baby cake 4″ inch round cake pans instead of the available bigger ones just to stay on the safe side the excess batter that I made – I turned them into cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting.
60ml (1/4) cup milk
35g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 egg whites
- Using a microwave with low power, melt chocolate and stir till smooth.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large mixing bowl and using a whisk, mix egg yolks, oil, milk and melted chocolate until combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into the egg yolk mixture. Mix until combined. Mixture will look like a thick paste.
- Using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites at medium low speed until foamy. Increase beating speed to medium high. While beating, add sugar gradually and beat until mixture form stiff peaks.
- Using a spoon, fold egg whites mixture into the yolk mixture in 3-4 batches until well combined.
- Pour the batter into an un-greased chiffon pan and gently tap the pan on the table top to get rid of any trapped bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160°C or 150°C fan forced for 40 min. Remove the cake from the pan. Let it cool then iced it!
On my previous blog post I made a marshmallow fondant and that I used to decorate the chocolate chiffon cake. I don’t have the proper tools yet but at least I was able to make a proper decor (I guess…)
Here are some snapshots (apologies for the quality of the pics) of my finish product :