We went to Fish Market last weekend and we bought crabs, shrimps, different kinds of fish and mussels! I love mussels that it is always on the list whenever my mom or dad will go to the market when I was still a kid.I heart seafood.Here in Dubai they are so expensive and you cannot find them in a regular basis (or maybe I am not aware) so when I found them – we bought them. I insisted.
I was planning to do the usual way of cooking mussels – with ginger and green leafy veggies included but my sister suggested to try baking them and that’s when another kitchen escapade happened.
I’ve read a lot of recipes online for the perfect baked mussels most of them are easy to do but the ingredients are expensive and I am not going to spend for something that I cannot use a lot.
So I checked and checked and decided to have my own version of baked mussels.
Here it goes:
- 1kg fresh large mussels
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1tsp. salt
- 1tsp.ground pepper
- 1 head of Garlic
- Bread Crumbs
- Chili pepper
These are seven easy steps that you can follow :
- Scrub the mussels well and wash under running water. Put into a large pan and cover with water, put a lid on the pan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook until the mussels open. Drain and remove the empty halves of the shells and place the halves containing the mussels on a baking tray.
- Heat the butter in a frying pan then add the garlic and fry the breadcrumbs, stirring, until golden brown add the salt and pepper.
- Place a little of the mixture on top of each baked mussel and press down slightly.
- Then sprinkle some basil leaves for more flavour
- Place the cheese on top of the mussels and sprinkle again with thyme
- Put the baking tray into the preheated oven (200 degrees C) for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese topping melts. Serve the baked mussels hot.The steps are very easy and you can actually bake(cook) this during weekends or as an appetizer with your regular bbq and meats. I am sure your guests would love you forever for pampering them with this utterly mouthwatering recipe. :)