Summer in the UAE is very different from summer time in the Philippines. Each season has its own charm and its own challenges. But whether it’s here in Dubai or in Manila, summer still brings with it scorching sun and hot winds. It is a big change for the little ones (even adults too!) But do not fret. I want to share with you a summer care guide to keep us and our munchkin comfortable and cool this summer. Most of what’s written here are advices from my mom, fellow moms and based on my personal experiences too.
- Dress them right.Wear light coloured clothing. – What our baby wears can help keep them cool. Whites and brights are nice to look at and very comfortable to wear during the hot season. Put on your checklist cotton clothes and say no to synthetic fabric at this time of the year – this can cause prickly heat rashes.
- Get a proper sun hat for your baby. Make sure it has a wide rim, and that it fits well. My mom already bought three different hats for Ellie.Take note that it’s best to avoid hats with elastic support which may constrict blood circulation.
- Stay indoors during the peak heat hours. Do I have to explain this further? It can cause heat stroke on adults and what more on our kids right?
- Choose suitable nappies.Remember that nappies tend to trap the heat, this can cause rashes and other types of skin irritation. We haven’t tried using the washable nappies that’s currently on trend. Ellie uses Pampers Premium Care because of the breathable materials note : micro pores help air circulation, allowing skin to breathe.
- Be HYDRATED.If your baby is younger than six months, and if you are exclusively breastfeeding, you do not need to give them water, even in hot weather. Babies who breastfeed whenever they wish do not get dehydrated. If your baby is formula-fed, you could offer him some boiled, cooled water in hot weather. For older babies who are already on solids, you could try milk shakes, fresh fruit juices and coconut water. These are refreshing and nutritious. Avoid sodas and caffeine-loaded drinks.
- Sunscreen. There lots of good brands out there just make sure to go for the mild sunscreen specially designed for babies and toddlers as they need to be protected from harsh sun too! Ellie’s Godmother – Geli, gave her The Honest Company Honest Mineral Sunscreen, SPF 50+. We also have Mustela High Protection Sun Lotion and the Nivea Sun KidsSunscreen.
- Cool off with some water play. Summers are a good time to let your baby enjoy some water play. You can head out to the beach or even just the bathtub or a small inflatable baby pool with a little water and some bath toys. I noticed that Ellie or toddlers in general, love to splash around, so let them have fun. *But make sure that they are supervised – little ones can drown.. even with just few INCHES of water.
- An air conditioned room right after a bath is a NO NO. They can easily catch a cold and chills. Switch on the air conditioner only after they are fully clothed and their hair is dry. Whenever Ellie is sleeping or playing, we make sure that the cold air does not flow directly at her (my mom told me this). It’s also best not to take them into warmer areas just after she has been in an air conditioned room. Switch off the AC first. We have to let our kids adjust to the warmth before taking him out.
- Protect them from mosquitoes.Dengue fever and even malaria are caused by stagnant water and dirty surroundings. So,regularly clean and change water. This will prevent the breeding of any insects. Use insect repellent creams on your baby.
- Use shades or eye goggles to protect their eyes. Some might say that this is too much… but please make sure that it has UV protection, after all that’s the reason why we are buying it for them – and second is, of course,the undeniable cuteness.]
Summer time is a great time to spend outdoors with the family. We are excited to be back in the Philippines for our vacation. We will definitely go far south for the beaches or went far North to Baguio City. Nothing is definite as of this time but Tags and I are sure that Ellie will enjoy her vacation this year.
Share the love, let me know how you take good care of your toddlers during summer? :)